9-1-1: Call if You Can, Text if You Must
In 2016, Blaine County Emergency Communications Center began accepting Text to 9-1-1 within Blaine County. This was a cooperative effort between counties, creating the ability to send a text message to 9-1-1 in Blaine, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, and Twin Falls Counties.
Voice Calls to 9-1-1 Are Still the Best and Fastest Way to Contact 9-1-1
When to text to 9-1-1
• If you are hearing or speech impaired.
• When a voice call could increase a threat.
• If you are injured and cannot speak.
• If you are in a remote location and can only send a text message.
How to text to 9-1-1 in an emergency:
• Enter the numbers 911 in the “To” field.
• The first text message to 9-1-1 should be brief and contain the location of the emergency and type of help needed.
• Push the send button.
• Be prepared to answer questions and follow instructions for the 9-1-1 call taker.
• Keep the text message brief and concise; avoid slang and abbreviations.